One-Pot Sauerkraut and Kielbasa
• 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil split
• 6 ounces ( 2 links) kielbasa or turkey sausage sliced
• 3/4 cup 1/2-inch diced red potatoes
• 1 pint (2 cups) of Pickle Licious fresh sauerkraut
• 1 small bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
• 1 small onion, sliced
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
• 1 1/2 teaspoons brown or whole-grain mustard
1. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, turning often, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a cutting board and slice into 1/2-inch pieces. (The sausage will not be thoroughly cooked, but it will continue cooking later).
2. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add sauerkraut (drained without liquid), sliced fennel, onion, garlic powder, fennel seed and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the sauerkraut has wilted slightly, about 3 minutes more.
3. Add broth, vinegar and mustard. Stir to incorporate the mustard; bring to a simmer. Place the sausage on top of the sauerkraut; cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the sausage is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in chopped fennel fronds and serve.